Courtney Desjardins is returning as the Head Coach of the Dorado Stars Swim Club for the 2019-2020 Season (Her seventh consecutive season). She is the lead Coach of the Senior Performance, Senior Development and Age Group Performance group. She will also play a role as a key collaborator for the Junior Programs alongside The Dorado Stars coaching staff. Her Experience in competitive swimming spans over a decade as both an athlete and coach on the Regional, National and International Levels. Coach Desjardins takes great pride in developing athletes from the “Grass Roots” up to the “High Performance” levels. Courtney strongly believes that the journey through sport is an adventure and that the lessons, values and character development achieved through sport becomes invaluable in one’s life.
Courtney believes that The Dorado Stars Swim Club creates a developing environment for young people and provides the opportunity for athletes to flourish through teaching and experience. The Dorado Stars Swim Club creates an environment that challenges our athletes in a positive manner, to become better than the swimmer they were yesterday. Courtney believes in a program designed and dedicated to commitment, purposeful practice, sportsmanship, friendship, self-esteem, and the achievement of personal goals.
Our program believes in long term athlete development, a model that has been part of the Canadian Swim Coaches module for many years. This program emphasizes not the specialty of one stroke or event but that of a multi-stroke, multi-event mentality that promotes everlasting athletic growth and physical development.
Courtney is incredibly proud of The Dorado Stars Staff and Athletes and is looking forward to the successful future and growth of this club.
Courtney Desjardins Coaching Achievements:
• 2007-2008 Selected Staff Ontario Regional Camps
• 2008 Selected as a staff member for the Ontario Summer games
• 2010-3 Athletes selected for the North American Challenge Cup Representing Team Canada
• 2011 Swim Ontario Age Group Coaching Award for the 12 Year Old Girls (Olivia Anderson)
• 2012 Selected Staff for Canada Cup Swim Camp
• Multiple Etobicoke Swim Club Records, Provincial Records and National Age Group Individual/Relay Records
• Provincial and Age Group National Medalist-The Etobicoke Swim
• Athletes contributed to consecutive Jr. Provincial Titles, Age Group National Titles, Eastern and Western Canadian Titles-The Etobicoke Swim Club
• 2013 Female Para Swimmer Coach of the year (Tess Routliffe)
• 2014 Female Para Swimmer Coach of the year (Tess Routliffe)
• 2014 Central Region Small Teams Championship Title-Dorado Stars Swim Club
• 2015 Selected as a staff member IPC British Swimming International Representing Team Canada
• 2015 Female Para Athlete Silver Medalist at IPC World Championship’s
• 2015 Female Para Athlete Multiple Medalist at the Toronto Para-Pan Am Games
• 2016 Female Para Athlete Selected to the Paralympic Games Team Representing Team Canada
• Multiple Canadian Records-Para Swimming
- Multiple Dorado Stars Club Records.
- Provincial finalist and medalist-The Dorado Stars Swim Club
- 2018 Female Finalist at Eastern Canadian Championships-The Dorado Stars Swim Club
- 2018 Female top 20 placing at Canadian Junior Championship-The Dorado Stars Swim Club
- 2019 Canadian Trails Qualifier
With Dorado, athletes will be provided opportunities to learn the value of competition, teamwork, technical skill development. This is a program that develops both the physical and mental foundation needed for higher performing excellence. In doing so, creates an environment that fosters commitment, discipline and respect. Courtney is passionate about the sport of competitive swimming and welcomes all the challenges and rewards that go hand in hand with coaching.
“The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison with it, that was the miracle.” -Anais Nin
The times ahead will involve great change. Together we will work on creating an organization that not only develops high performance athletes but also well-rounded human beings. Courtney could not be more excited to be challenged and inspired throughout this process. She is grateful for the opportunity to continue this journey with The Dorado Stars Swim Club this season, and for many to come..
“Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” Barack Obama
Rachel grew up in the pool. As a member of the dorado stars, in her early years, Rachel had the opportunity to swim along side some of Canada’s premiere athletes. She moved on from the sport of swimming in her early teens and pursued a sports career in volleyball. After graduating from lee university in Tennessee Rachel moved back to Brampton and began teaching with the peel board. Her life was forever changed when she received a phone call from head coach Courtney and has not looked back since!
Junior 2/Junior 2 Intro Coach
Max Possek ( Picture and Bio coming soon )
Bavindeep Basra (PHOTO: Coming Soon)
My name is Bavi Basra and I will be joining the Dorado Stars Swim Club family for this upcoming season. I am extremely excited to coach the JD group, and watch the swimmer’s grow over the span of the year as athletes, teammates and individual’s. My competitive swimming career began at Dorado Stars Swim Club and shaped me into the athlete I was over the next several years. I have recently completed my collegiate swimming career at Fresno Pacific University, where I learned the importance of team chemistry, work ethic, and sportsmanship. At FPU, I was fortunate enough to be a part of several historical meets, races, and events, allowing me to continue developing upon my passion for the sport. My coaching philosophy revolves around the importance of consistency and dedication, as “nothing worth having comes easy”. I am very thrilled to be back on the pool deck at Dorado, as it will allow me to give back to the club that allowed me to succeed.
Junior 1 and Star Academy Head Coach
Cross Training support coach
Rachel has coached at the Etobicoke Swim Club for the past 7 years. She has worked with swimmers at both the pre-competitive and competitive levels. Prior to coaching Rachel swam with the Etobicoke Swim Club for many years. One of her favorite aspects of coaching is motivating and challenging the athletes she works with to become better versions of themselves on and off the pool deck. Rachel is currently in school at Guelph-Humber University studying kinesiology. She is fascinated by human movement and loves being able to take what she is learning in school and put it into practice on the pool deck. In her free time Rachel trains with a group of open water swimmers in Oakville and she loves to run! Rachel is very excited to start working with Dorado Stars this season!
Head Star Academy Coach
Bailey Miller ( Picture and Bio coming soon)
Support Coaches : Emily Osborne and Emma Calovini
Rachel McTier :Junior/Senior Programs
Shane Hollmer : Senior Programs
Sandra Zimmerman : Yoga